Selectmen's Minutes 6/14/04
The weekly meeting of the Board of Selectmen was held on Monday evening, June 14, 2004 at 7:34 p.m.

Present: Eric W. Greene, Chairman; David L. Walsh, Clerk; James M. Hardy
        George Samia, Town Administrator
        Karen Grabau, Adm. Assistant
        John Stuebing, Town Counsel

Mr. Greene was welcomed back by the Board members.

Mr. Greene questioned when quarterly tax billing would begin; noted that he has received several calls from residents. Requested that information and schedule on quarterly tax billing be put on the web site and made available to residents. Mr. Samia will check with the Assessor’s Office.

M/Walsh, s/Hardy, move to approve the minutes of the June 7, 2004 minutes.
VOTE: Yes – Walsh, Hardy; Abstain – Greene; a majority vote in favor.

M/Walsh, s/Hardy, a unanimous vote, move to approve the reappointment of Beverly Fanning as a member of the Council on Aging for the period of July 1, 2004 – June 30, 2007.

M/Walsh, s/Hardy, a unanimous vote, move to approve the reappointment of Beverly Fanning as a member of the Registrars of Voters for the period of July 1, 2004 - June 30, 2007.
M/Walsh, s/Hardy, a unanimous vote, move to approve the request of the Chief of Police to appoint the following as liquor agents for the period of July 1, 2004 – June 30, 2005:

        Sgt. Joseph W. Markowicz                        Ptl. Carol J. Ferreira
        Sgt. John E. Cowan                              Ptl. John L. Silva III
        Sgt. Thomas W. Reed                             Ptl. Paul O’Brien
        Sgt. Steven A. Brown                            Ptl. John R. Grillo
        Sgt. Michael W. McLaughlin                      Ptl. Thomas E. Flint
        Sgt./Det. Scott C. Allen                                Ptl. Joel W. Silva
        Det. William E. Shaw                            Ptl. David J. Perrault
        Ptl Alan J. Cunningham                          Ptl. Carlos A. Oliveira
        Ptl. Kevin E. Sullivan                          Ptl. Michael E. Jenkins
        Ptl. Antonio J. Ferreira                                Ptl. William A. Patterson
        Ptl. Janice Cunningham                          Ptl. Richard T. Eldredge
        Ptl Douglass A. Carey                           Ptl. Antonio M. Ferreira
        Ptl. Tallitha Connor

M/Walsh, s/Hardy, a unanimous vote, move to approve the appointment of Jeannette Arruda as Voter Registration Information System Officer for the town for the period of July 1, 2004 – June 30, 2005.

M/Walsh, s/Hardy, a unanimous vote, move to approve the request of Jeff Craig for use of the Town Common on September 4, 2004 from 12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. for a Wedding.

M/Walsh, s/Hardy, a unanimous vote, move to approve the request of Scott Allen of the E.B. community Drug Council for use of the Town Common on Jun 23, 2004 from 6:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. for a Concert.

M/Walsh, s/Hardy, a unanimous vote, move to approve the request of Raymond M. LeBlanc of E.B. Youth basketball Association to hold a summer basketball league for girls and boys at the John L. Silva Athletic Complex from July 5 – August 4, 2004 Monday – Thursday, 5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.

Board of Selectmen                             -2-                             June 14, 2004

M/Walsh, s/Hardy, a unanimous vote, move to approve entering into a contract with Tighe & Bond, for technical assistance by Dana Huff, Senior Project Manager, on the East Bridgewater Thatcher Street Landfill project with payment terms and conditions as referenced in the contract attachments.

Board went over the funding provisions and work, which will be done for this project. Discussed the request to BFI/Allied Waste for information relative to the proposal to reopen the Thatcher Street Landfill. Mr. Samia noted that a letter has been sent to John DiNapoli and that the information should be back to the Board within 60 days.

Town Administrator Report

Has a map showing all town owned land available for the Board.
Solid Waste and Recycling Report – met today with John Haines and Edith DeMello, DEP regarding recycling program; Ms. DeMello will put together information on programs that town can use, i.e. flyers, public information programs, etc.

A discussion was held regarding bag prices; John Haines will make a recommendation to the Board; Board would be the ones to vote what increase would be. Mr. Greene requested that BFI be contacted to see if they can provide a weekly or bi-weekly report on trash and recycling tonnage.

Mr. Greene noted that he had received a phone call from a gentleman looking for town owned land for use for handicapped people. Mr. Samia noted that he had spoken to the gentleman also. Mr. Samia was asked to contact him and request a written proposal be submitted to the Selectmen.


Letter from the Board of Assessors announcing that the Town’s web site now has information available regarding real estate exemptions, motor vehicle abatements and 2 ½ levy limit; also applications and informational publications are available and can be downloaded. Letter also thanked Cheryl Pooler, Director of Assessing, Assistant Assessor, Sherrie Bates, EBCATV Director, Terry Aicardi and Town Administrator, George Samia for their assistance.

Letter from Troop 29 relative to Eagle Scout ceremony; Adam Finley will receive his award on Sunday, July 25 at 2:00 p.m.; Mr. Hardy will attend and present citation from Selectmen. It was noted that Adam’s project was the building of two display tables, two bookcases and a picnic table for the Public Library.

Mr. Walsh noted that he has a potential project for an Eagle Scout project or building a handicapped ramp at Sachem Rock Farm. Will pursue this project.

Board Discussion

Sachem Rock Usage Committee – Mr. Samia reported that one letter of interest has been received for a member at large. Will contact the Historical Commission, Conservation Commission and the land Use Committee for this representative.

Mr. Walsh reported on the Sewerage Feasibility Committee; testing various sites for waste treatment plant; Brockton NPFD project, letter relative to regional system will be sent to DEP; working with Sen. Lynch’s office and Rep. Teahen is coordinating with Sen. Creedan to support a regional plan.

Board of Selectmen                              -3-                             June 14, 2004

Open Forum
No one was present

Board requested that the following be placed on Board Discussion for the next meeting:

        Chief of Police job Description – Mr. Samia to get job description from area towns

        DPW – town counsel will submit information on steps needed to establish a DPW

M/Hardy, s/Walsh, move to close Open Session and go into Executive Session for the purpose of discussing pending litigation issues and will not be returning to Open Session.
VOTE: Yes – Hardy, Walsh, Greene; a unanimous vote in favor.

Meeting adjourned at 8:45 p.m.